Saturday, August 27, 2005

"I have no patience for cell phone drivers"

I said to some of my coworkers on Friday. As expected their reaction was defensive, considering that I don't own a cell phone or car, and they tried to excuse their actions. I guess nowadays people see a cell phone as an attachment to their ear and it's ok to be oblivious to the rest of the world (most people are usually shocked that I do not own one) and somehow it has become a benign and at times amusing behavior. I find it irritating, annoying and rude. Sitting on the bus I have no interest in hearing someone else's life, dramas or what they are planning to do once they get off the bus. Most importantly and to the point, I don't feel like being nearly run over while trying to cross the street by drivers on their cell phones in rush hour traffic. Well, I decided to back up my generalizing and judgmental conclusions, so I googled "cell driving drunk driving". I continually found articles supporting my conclusions. I found a good blog entry, Drunk Drivers vs Distracted Drivers. It has links to a few interesting studies that reach an obvious conclusion:

"Drivers on cell phones showed greater impairment, less responsive behavior and more accidents than drunk drivers."

In my words: you are more ignorant and irresponsible if you pick up a cell phone than if you are intoxicated while you drive. And by the way headsets do not make a difference on your concentration.

If you do not take my word, check out MythBusters' Episode 33: Killer Brace Position.